The importance of restoring Primary Ecosystem Services [PES].

EarthRestoration views forest systems as the terrestrial skin of the planet. They are the Earth’s protective layer, and provide Primary Ecosystem Services [PES] vital for maintaining qualitative aspects of Earth’s biosphere. Primary Ecosystem Services [PES] are identified as the production of Oxygen, evapotranspiration of ground water, and the capture of carbon over time. Restoring PES identifies humanities commitments to ensure a health planet for our collective futures.

Above : For the first time we begin to quantify immediate positive contributions to the atmosphere O2 and H2O (as well as CO2 over time)

Forest ecosystems vary in density depending on a given region and its geological capacity to the species that make up the many layers of forest canopy. This means that each canopy layer is capable of photosynthesis at an optimum level considering that less and less light falls down the height of the forest. 

Above : Sunlight is absorbed at many LUX values as it falls through the cross section of a forest

How?

Some species like full sunlight, and some species prefer shaded growth. The methods we use increase Biomass : Biodiversity (B:B ratios) identifying these species and their preferred growth conditions. Always a maximum threshold for photosynthesis is achieved using what we call a forest formulae. Using the template of a historical (old growth) forest, we study the potential for the most suitable variety of species that allow for successive natural regeneration to take place. The selected species create a microclimate amenable for the growth of more woody and longer lived species, thus creating a symbiotic ecology and accelerated processes for forest maturity to set in. 

Above : The progressing growth pattern of seral forest succession demonstrates the positioning of Analog Forestry between conventional agriculture and a natural forest ecosystem

We also understand that these trees and shrubs we see make up just 1% of a forest’s diversity.  Identifying the keystone species of each regional forest and using these species in our restorations will allow for the rest of the 99% of the forest’s biodiversity to successfully regenerate itself into a self regulated ecosystem. 

Above : The many layers of a productive forest garden serves as a guide for selecting a variety of tree-crops with income and utility to humans while increasing PES’s. Shade grown coffee in central highlands of Sri Lanka

Valuing Diversity

We also understand that these trees and shrubs we see make up just 1% of a forest’s diversity.  Identifying the keystone species of each regional forest and using these species in our restorations will allow for the rest of the 99% of the forest’s biodiversity to successfully regenerate itself into a self regulated ecosystem. 


Above : It is not one tree, or many of a single tree species, but the right formulae that makes a productive ecosystem. Tree-crops increase climate resilience and adaptability for landscapes that are vulnerable to climate Change (Asia hotspots WB report 2019)

BENEFITING HUMANITY AND BIODIVERSITY ON PLANET EARTH :

We are on spaceship Earth. We need to learn how to sustain the productivity within this spaceship, if not we are likely to observe ecosystem collapse. Primary Ecosystem Services [PES] is being lost exponentially across the globe. EarthRestoration attempts to educate humanity by restoring  PES which is vital for our survival into the future. Taking this into account, EarthRestoration does not plant trees. We design biological sustainability into landscapes making them more resilient in the face of climate change

Primary Ecosystems –

Restoring degraded landscapes with EarthRestoration increases the potential for high B:B ratios in order to produce larger products (volumes) of PES. Ie: more Oxygen, more ground water cycling and increased carbon cycling over time. High B:B ratios ensure other life thrives within these landscapes. This biodiversity provisions deep securities for humanity and life on planet Earth.


Above : Our restoration scapes in the mangroves of Myanmar are young forests now teeming with life that we wish to extend using new restoration methodology that benefit many stakeholders.

Anthropogenic Ecosystems –

The EarthRestoration strategy for restoring rural and  anthropogenic (human inhabited) landscapes is focused on utilizing tree-crops with the highest degree of agricultural sustainability on that landscape. This is formalized in the 12 principles of Analog Forestry which articulates the diverse and utilitarian array of forest gardens and tree-farms across the globe, using them as a guide to incorporate new species that are beneficial to livelihoods and the health of all humans living in proximity to these forest gardens.

The Air, the Water, the Oceans, the Forests and the TopSoils are the product of ecosystems that convert sunlight into free energy by photosynthesis. Restoring ecosystems is a skilled artform. Today more than ever, as populations grow more aware of the biological basis that is a prerequisite to our survival, we believe that integrating this artform into human endeavours would be an effective solution to prevent further losses of forest functions across the globe. 

DONATE : 

Donations begin at $5 to assist coastal Mangrove Restorations [ Myanmar Mangrove Restorations] 

INVEST : 

Individual Forest patches and BioCurrency contracts are co-owned by those donating over $100 [ Myanmar Mangrove Restorations]

Purchase LifeForce™ [Forest Gardens and Community managed Biodiversity Corridors, Sri Lanka ]

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

twenty − ten =